Day: September 14, 2017
SLIA would like to remind members that one of the most common insurance claims areas is missed limitation periods. Please see the following resources for tips and assistance to help avoid this common mistake:
- Saskatchewan Limitations Manual
The online version of the Saskatchewan Limitations Manual contains an alphabetical list of all statutes with limitation periods, including The Limitations Act, S.S. 2004, c. L-16.1 and relevant case law annotations. On each statute name listed, a link to the text of the statute as it appears on CanLII allows the user to read the entire act or to search for the specific section within the statute.
- Beat the Clock – Law Society of BC
Beat the Clock is a special risk management publication of the Lawyers Insurance Fund from the Law Society of BC. Lawyers can prevent missed deadlines by adopting the simple practices and procedures laid out in this guide. Covering over 70 risk management tips to help you prevent missed deadlines, this guide includes:
- Four sections that address each of the main causes of missed deadlines in depth;
- Examples of “what went wrong” from actual claim reports to the Lawyers Insurance Fund;
- Advice from the practising lawyers who work at the Lawyers Insurance Fund on how you can avoid missed deadlines; and
- Comments and advice from lawyers who have dealt with missed deadlines themselves, and are willing to share their experiences.
Please see the SLIA website for more information about these and other helpful resources.