By Melanie Hodges Neufeld
Time is running out to register for this fun and informative new CPD series from the Law Society. The Sidebar Social Series will offer an opportunity to learn about a relevant topic from a panel of judges and an experienced practitioner. The casual setting involves a CPD presentation, a generous question period accompanied by a light meal, beverages and some time for networking.
The first in the series – Withdrawals and Recusals – will be held September 15th in Regina and September 22nd in Saskatoon. A panel of judges representing all three levels of court will discuss withdrawal as counsel in the context of the relevant Law Society of Saskatchewan Rules and the approach in R v. Cunningham. Following this, the panel will discuss recusal of judges, addressing both situations in which the issue arises, as well as protocol for each level of court.
Closing off each panel, an experienced practitioner will provide his perspective on dealing with both the Court and the client in the context of withdrawals and recusals. He will discuss practical aspects as well as ethical considerations.
Panel of Judges:
- Justice N. W. Caldwell Court of Appeal for Saskatchewan, Regina
- Justice M. T. Megaw Court of Queen’s Bench for Saskatchewan, Regina
- Judge H. M. Harradence Provincial Court of Saskatchewan, Prince Albert (speaking in Saskatoon)
- Judge M. T. Beaton Provincial Court of Saskatchewan, Regina (speaking in Regina)
- Michael Tochor, Q.C. MacPherson Leslie & Tyerman LLP, Regina
This program is exclusive to students and practitioners with less than 10 years of experience in the practice of law. Registration is limited – register early to secure your spot!