From June 12 to December 29, the Magna Carta will be touring Canada in celebration of its 800th anniversary. As noted on the Magna Carta Canada website, the Magna Carta “set the groundwork for many concepts that continue to define democratic life today”. Key principles include:
- Nobody is above the law of the land: The basis of equal justice at all levels of society.
- Habeas Corpus: Freedom from unlawful detention without cause or evidence.
- Trial by jury: Rules to settle disputes between barons and the Crown established trial by a jury of one’s peers.
- Women’s rights: A widow could not be forced to marry and give up her property – a major first step in women’s rights.
The Magna Carta exhibition is not coming to Saskatchewan, but will be making stops in:
- Ottawa/Gatineau: June 12 to July 26
- Winnipeg: August 15 to September 18
- Toronto: October 4 to November 7
- Edmonton: November 23 to December 29
Please visit Magna Carta Canada for more information on the exhibition and history of this important document.